Man found not guilty over fatally shooting mate in forest

Hayden Dove Fenton, 30, walked from court a cost-free guy immediately after almost a few decades of lawful proceedings immediately after a jury acquitted him of the manslaughter by criminal carelessness of his buddy Bailey Davenport in Parawa Forest on July 23, 2017.

The jury did not obtain that Mr Fenton had consciously pointed the gun towards Mr Davenport when it went off, killing the 21-year-aged father when they were being tenting in a paddock.

The team made use of a century-aged Winchester rifle to shoot at a bottle of Wild Turkey.

Mr Davenport went with his spouse and little boy or girl to lower firewood about 50m working with a chainsaw.

The court heard that Mr Fenton was holding the gun when it went off, hitting Mr Davenport in the side of the head.

The bullet entered his skull and lodged on the reverse side of his head.

He dropped the chainsaw and Ms Arends-Watson started out screaming, alerting the other folks at the camp.

The team rushed the stricken guy to clinic, battling to get the autos up a grime monitor which was slippery following rain that early morning.

Mr Davenport was taken to Victor Harbor Medical center but afterwards died from his injuries.

Marie Shaw QC, performing for Fenton, instructed the jury during her closing assertion that the proof offered by the prosecution did not establish her consumer had been negligent outside of all fair question

“People heading about their life make problems, but that is not manslaughter,” she claimed.

“It is an accident due to the fact no just one expected that to transpire.”

She focused on inconsistencies in the proof of Mr Davenport’s cousin Mitchell and a further buddy, Fletcher Teague, both equally of whom had been at the campsite when the gun went off.

The court had heard that the rifle which killed Mr Davenport was in these kinds of lousy situation that a fired shell casing had to be removed from the gun manually.

The only way of accomplishing that was to take out it working with a fingernail.

Mr Teague claimed he had found Mr Fenton trying to take out just one of the shells.

“The only just one of the a few boys and the girl at the campsite to have no fingernails, to have lifeless established stumps, was Mr Fenton,” Mrs Shaw claimed.

“He would not have been capable to take out the casing.”

Mr Fenton has pleaded guilty to possessing the firearm and will encounter the Supreme Court all over again in two weeks.